Hair loss help: how to get a formal diagnosis

If you have noticed that your hair is thinning or falling out more than usual, it is likely that you have a female hair loss condition. This may be temporary, but you still need to get it checked out by a professional.

Getting a formal diagnosis is also important for your peace of mind, as gaining proper, well-informed knowledge of your condition can help to alleviate some of your worry, stress and panic.

There are three routes you can choose to ensure your condition is properly diagnosed and treated, although you can opt for all of them.

See your GP

Your doctor should be your first port of call if you think you have a hair loss condition. Your GP may be able to identify the condition or refer you to a specialist dermatologist, as well as taking down most of the important information about symptoms, rate of hair loss etc.

See a dermatologist

Dermatologists are experts in skin disorders, and should be able to give you the very best advice, information and treatment. You can be referred to a dermatologist by your GP or visit one as a private patient.

See a trichologist

Whilst a dermatologist deals with skin disorders, a trichologist is a hair loss specialist who will be able to advise you appropriately on how to treat your condition.